Friday, March 16, 2018

Toys 'R Us

Our Toys 'R Us shuttered it's doors tonight. I didn't have time to say good-bye.  I didn't realize it would happen so fast.  So many memories...

Thirty-five years ago...

"Dad, can I have a Barbie?  I love.." My voice trailed away as my eyes widened in awe of the Barbie display. The hours melted away as I lovingly looked at each doll.

I don't want to grow up... 

Thirty years ago...

"I NEED a Cabbage Patch doll! Please!!!"  I stared intently at my mother in line waiting for the most amazing doll ever.  I watched her walking to the car with a huge smile and a box.  It was twins!

Every bike, puzzle, and game came from the magical world of Toys 'R Us.

I'm a Toys 'R Us kid.

Nineteen years ago...

"Want to go look at Nintendo games?"  Nothing like a Saturday date night, picking out a new game to play together...

From bikes to trains to video games...

Ten years ago...

"Excuse me.  I'm looking for premature clothes and everything really.  Can you help me?  I just had triplets."  Three associates and four carts later, I headed home...Only to come back every week for the next 4 years to pick up cases of diapers.

I don't wanna grow up, cause maybe if I did

I couldn't be a Toy 'R Us kid

Two years ago...

"My daughter is on the spectrum and the crowd overwhelms her.  Do you mind if I take some Legos and let her play over there where it's a little bit away from the crowd.  She wants to be part of the group but she can't handle being so close."

"Hold on one moment." She begins speaking into her walkie talkie.  "I need another table here now.  Send me another associate."  She bends down and speaking softly, "Hi! I hear that you like Legos.  Can you pick some of the blocks that you want to use? I have a quiet spot for you." She points over to a spot 10 feet away where associates are setting up a table and moving racks.

"For me?"  I hear the wonder and awe in my baby's voice.  She gives a small smile, wipes the tears from her eyes and walks over to the table.

"I have a table here for anyone who would like a quieter space."  She guides some children over to the table.  It takes a special person to create that special moment.

Tonight...

The doors are closed but my memories are strong.  I didn't get to say it in person, so I'll say it here.  Thank you for being part of my life and my children's life.  You are responsible for so many smiles. You have touched so many hearts.

I wish you all the best of luck.


I want to be a Toys 'R Us kid.






No comments:

Post a Comment